Monday, December 13, 2010

#12

Arresting cover. Will be a movie real soon. Awesome...

There was Nabokov's Lolita cover that shows a pair of pale pink lips of a woman, so beautifully done you'll want to kiss the book cover, it's crazy. I saw Kazuo Ishiguro's book, Never Let Me Go last Sunday when I dropped by one of my favorite places in the Philippines (Fully Booked) and immediately felt the need to have this book wrapped under our tree for myself...or for my sister and when she's not around, I'll steal it. I'm a sucker for beautiful face covers (like the Lolita one) and after seeing the synopsis of the book, it seems promising to me. Being a trained researcher and always fueled by curiousity (thank you Jose Javier Reyes and National Geographic for that) I looked up a few quotes from the book and so far, here's a popular favorite:

"I keep thinking about this river somewhere, with the water moving really fast. And these two people in the water, trying to hold onto each other, holding on as hard as they can, but in the end it's too much. The current's too strong. They've got to let go, drift apart. That's how it is with us. It's a shame, Kath, because we've loved each other all our lives. But in the end, we can't stay together forever." --- Never Let Me Go

Now that is some serious stuff right there. I've been reading too many old books lately that it'd be nice to read some new ones...That's number 12 for my 12 days of Christmas post, and I HIGHLY recommend you give this to a friend who loves reading and loves reading slightly life-changing fiction.

-Gerard

No comments:

Post a Comment