Friday, July 30, 2010

Do the fold

Sometimes putting just faces of people for magazine covers work, especially when it's a flap cover and it folds open to eternity where models like Giselle Bundchen, Natalia Vodianova, Liya Kabede, Daria Werbowy, Gemma Ward, Karen Elson and a whole lot more populate a single cover. VOGUE's September 2004 issue is, up to now, awfully striking. Just look at all those heavenly faces? If Helen's face launched a thousand ships, then these faces would inspire Earth to engage in intergalactic wars with whoever and whatever else is out there.

Metro magazine, one local publication that I rarely check (I don't hate the magazine, I just don't buy it as much) folds for a slew of beautiful local celebrities. It's probably all the flowy and shiny hair and the angelic faces that make this cover such a success. I've always been a fan of big-grouped magazine covers, like how Vanity Fair does it. It's the mix of different, beautiful people that makes it so exciting.

Congratulations on doing a great cover. I hope they continue doing covers that deserve staring. Of course, the content too. I mean, they have such potential and I think they ought to whip up the layout and content and their materials to better shape. It's not a bad magazine mind you, it's just still very promising is all.


.Gerard

No comments:

Post a Comment