Sunday, November 14, 2010

Flaubert via Dalton & Dean on Speech

Jimmy, my favorite mutant of all...

Unlike yesterday, my Sunday's been pretty handsome.
I ran, I watched, I ate, I walked, and I had some serious Sunday slow fun (which is rare to come by in my case). Thank God for that.
But to top it all off, I revisited my long, rusting love affair with The Mutant King by David Dalton and since it's reading, it's the sweet blood red cherry for today. For the first time in weeks, I've found myself flipping through (with full interest) page after page of James Dean's biography. Now, it's getting all juicy, informative and hypnotic just because I'm way past half of the read and we all know that ideally, the better bits of any story comes in the middle. And I came across this wonderful quote that Dalton placed as the last block of words to end a long chapter:

"Since human speech is like a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes to make bears dance, when our desire is to touch with passion the stars." --- Taken from David Dalton's The Mutant King. Originally by Gustave Flaubert

This came to be cause Dalton was explaining Dean's acting in East Eden, how his role in the movie afforded him the outlet for his frustrations about life, frustrations he couldn't find in words...Which I believe is the power of acting. For people like Dean, sometimes by playing a role, you get to play yourself...Right?

Anyway, it's off to homework. I feel like a kid, like I'm in elementary again, talking about homework and figuring out f-ing fractions and crap...Well, this is all about philosophy (again) and...what was my other homework? Now I forgot...See, that's the use of planners. Now, where the hell did I leave mine?
Crap.

Good night everyone!

OF COURSE, I ought to mention Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao. He's incredibly humble, which is probably why I started liking him...Plus you know he's got reserve in the ring, even when he has all the right to go ballistic over Margarito's face...They're both good fighters and it was nice to watch them. Congratulations...

-Gerard



No comments:

Post a Comment